Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! I am so excited to have this back up and running so I can keep all of you up to date on my experiences in Ghana. I will be embarking on a 3 month internship in Accra with the International Organization for Migration (IOM) developing anti-child trafficking initiatives in schools around the city.

I hope you enjoy the blog! I will do my best to post regularly!
-Ben

05 August, 2010

Visiting the Blessed Andre School

Hi everyone! Just wanted to give a quick update as to what’s going on with us in India! At the moment, I’m counting the geckos on my wall…I’m up to 5 and I’m suspicious that I’ve missed a few. Some people around here think that they’re annoying, but I love watching them dart around the walls (not to mention they eat mosquitoes).
Yesterday we traveled to the Blessed Andre School with Father Joe Paul. The drive was around 25 minutes and took us through some beautiful country. Rice paddies lined both sides of the road at some points filled with workers and nature alike. The colors here seem more vivid than anything I’ve experienced before.
The greens of the paddies and jungle are especially bright.

The children at the school were very excited to see us and when they were told that two of us might be coming to teach there, they became even more enthusiastic. They genuinely seem like they want to learn as much as they can to better their chances at progressing in their education. Here are a couple of pictures from our morning at the school!



We have had a few meetings lately to determine our exact roles for the coming year. It was decided that Aja and I will be heading to the Blessed Brother Andre School for the first half of our stay and will then switch to the Holy Cross Agartala School with Marie and Ellen in January. I am very excited about this placement because the children we will be working with are slightly more in need than those at Holy Cross, though help is required everywhere.
Also discussed was what we would be teaching/contributing once at the Holy Cross School. I, for one, will potentially have two roles. First, I might be teaching Communicative English, which can be likened to public speaking. It is also possible that I may be used in social studies. Second, Father Emmanuel and Father C.V. Jose said that I should be able to lecture at the college in Political Science! This surprised me, as I do not feel qualified to do so, but it is an opportunity and a challenge that I would gladly take on!
Though we will be much busier once we start working at the school on Monday, I will do my best to continue to update the blog!
Best,
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment